Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert single screw kit to twin screw  (Read 832 times)

Nick-R

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Convert single screw kit to twin screw
« on: July 25, 2024, 04:15:30 pm »

Has anyone converted a single screw kit such as, for example, the SLEC RAF crash tender to twin screw.  If so, how did you align the shafts? Where did you get P brackets from?  Reinforcing the hull does not strike me as difficult but I am getting my head around how to perfectly align the shafts - maybe start from drawing to establish angle and distance from keel of shafts and mark/drill holes in frames?

Anyone done this before?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Convert single screw kit to twin screw
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 09:34:06 pm »

It's a Fairey but it's worth a read of Joe's Hunters Moon build on Page 3 in the Pleasure Boats section.

He used the Raboesch prop shafts with plastic brackets. If you want brass brackets Model Boat Bits supply various types.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Nick-R

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 10:01:36 pm »

Thanks for that gents!  An interesting read.  Techniques are similar although what I have in mind is converting a plywood skinned hull. 

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 08:38:18 am »

So, duplicate whats shown on the plans for the single tube to strengthen the skins where the shaft and tube go through the skins.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 11:41:34 am »

hi there

there is a model boat website - which you may be aware of - this used to be dedicated to this type of Craft (Fireboat 93/94) and on this website I notice now - they do still have some drawings - they aren't very legible though - for some reason.   At one time they did used to be good clear copies.   If you join that model boat website and ask the question there - you may get some answers that you are seeking.

Here is a link to that website Model Boats Website - Plans (model-boats.com)

The other thing is, if you do  a search on Mayhem here; for the aero kits Fireboat, there are a lot of discussions on them.   Look out for an old friend of this website HS93, Peter, he was a bit of an expert on these Crafts (he is a big miss) .

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 24 queries.