Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 3351 times)

deadwood

Linux
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:19 pm »

Hello,

my other great interest besides ships and model making is using free and libre open source software (FLOSS) especially on GNU/Linux.

But this is also part of my daily work where I have to do with Unix systems.
So I'm in the enviable position to have a job where profession and hobby blend.

At the moment I am particularly interested in high availability clustering (e.g. Pacemaker, RHCS)
and virtualization (e.g. KVM, libvirt, qemu)
and last but not least Perl.

Ralph

pugwash

Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:53:13 pm »

Ralph I'm glad you enjoy all those things you mentioned but as I am not really a computer person
I haven't a clue what you are talking about

Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:09:39 am »

I dunno what He's is talking about either... possibly secret code to a nefarious organisation such as SPECTRE!
 (SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion)

If Ralph now dares to mention Apple or MAC, I'm gonna ban him!  :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:21 am »

At least it follows from the post title.

I wonder how long it would take for techies to start extoling the virtues of Windoze if we all converted to Linux? If all the Hackers caught had a hand amputated for ruining Uncles Bills' system "Cos we can" and at times making us numpties suffer, perhaps They wouldn't do it OR they have one more chance, "Do you feel lucky p**k"?

Sorry, NO comments on the rights or wrongs of the Gates empire.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »

They are just different forms of operating systems, software and programming languages. Not sure what the connection to boating is unless its for designing boat hulls, maximising performance on the water etc etc.

Seems a weird post though but who am I to say?

TBH to Mr Gates, his operating system has such a massive number of pc's using it, that, by sheer weight of numbers its going to be the hackers favourite number one target for many years.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:59:11 pm »

As deadwood has started this topic in 'Other Hobbies and Interests' I don't think it has to relate to boats.

I have recently acquired a CD from a Linux magazine and loaded 'Mageia' onto an old laptop, it only has 512MB of ram but appears to work fine so far.

Its just a trial of Linux for me, if I can sort out the net connection I may be able to dump Windows altogether....If only !!!

Here's a quick pic of the desktop, looks nice and it is different  8)

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

deadwood

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »

If Ralph now dares to mention Apple or MAC, I'm gonna ban him!  :P

Fear not, for I won't lead thee into temptation with forbidden fruit >>:-(

deadwood

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »

As deadwood has started this topic in 'Other Hobbies and Interests' I don't think it has to relate to boats.
Exactly. I wasn't aware of the idiosyncrasies the sheer mentioning of the cuddly penguin's OS would emerge.

Indeed so much as being threatened to be banned from the forum.

I apologize, I never meant to evangelise, though I'm happy about any new user of Linux. 

Quote from: jb
I have recently acquired a CD from a Linux magazine and loaded 'Mageia' onto an old laptop, it only has 512MB of ram but appears to work fine so far.
Its just a trial of Linux for me, if I can sort out the net http://www.mandriva.com/en/connection I may be able to dump Windows altogether....If only !!!
I'd be glad if you enjoy it and it would serve you any good.

I admit that the bewildering number of Linux distributions (as can be found here) can be a bit daunting to the aspiring new Linux user.

I myself, cannot say much about Mageia, for I haven't given it a try yet.
The only thing I know about it is that it is a fork of Mandriva, a French Linux distro which used to be Mandrake
but had to surrender this name because of licensing issues with a comic character (i.e. the great sorcerer Mandrake).
Mandriva is known for being a distro suitable for newbie and expert alike with very good hardware support.
Afaik, they did the fork of Mageia because there were signs of a possible insolvency of the Mandriva company and some of its user base feared that this would lead to the demise of the project.

I for instance prefer these distros Fedora, CentOS and Arch.
The latter has arguably one of the best Linux Wikis online.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:34:00 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about the above posts, 'The Boss' was only having a laugh..I think!

You are correct with the history of Mageia, I've read about it in Linux Format magazine, actually, I did try SUSE some years ago but it was in the earlier days, started with Win3.1...95...ME (NO!!!) XP, now 7, dammit! the intrusions with this newish desktop PC drive me to distraction, update this..that...the other...your virus protection is about to expire...!!!clear off will you!!! its a constant battle!

Having the time is my enemy just now but I keep chipping away at understanding Linux, trying to anyway, hopefully I'll make it work on the net before long.

:-))

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 06:03:12 am »

When I think of linux I always remember this
http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:45:58 pm »

Now Now..no need for any of that...

Wonder if I can install Linux on this...has to be better than Fords effort surely!

how's the XJ8 then? my 'X' is in for a quick service and new pads today so I'm on pins till its back :D

JB.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 06:34:45 pm »

Wonder if I can install Linux on this...has to be better than Fords effort surely!

how's the XJ8 then? my 'X' is in for a quick service and new pads today so I'm on pins till its back :D

JB.

No linux installed on mine yet... but then there is no OSX or Microsoft either
Tho the headrest DVD players run some kind of java I think as they have games built in as well

Waiting for some parts to do the Finnish MOT.  Funny... it had a brand new MOT before it left the UK but the Finnish guys failed it on both Ball joints, both track rod ends and rear suspension bushes.  Tho I would agree with them on inspection that they were a bit worn
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 07:15:45 am »

Well, still can't figure out which 'OS' is fitted...installed on the engine, Wes at the garage told me his machine..? can't talk to a Jaguar, maybe I should call D. Attenborough, see if he can make any sense of it...

Anyway, its back home and runnin good...no problems, expensive to look after these things you know...cost me £216 for new rear pads and oil change + 3 filters... O0

Ball and rods nothing really, don't fancy doing the bushes though!

Might have another nibble at the Linux magazine later, I like it :-))   

JB.

deadwood

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »

Hello JB,

I don't know what kind of Linux controls your Jaguar engine, or if any at all.

Judging by the various distros' mascots I would fancy that the Turkish Linux distro Pardus (i.e. the scientific Latin name panthera pardus for panther) could be the right candidate.
Here's another Pardus artwork.

Besides this, the once in its infancy as a joke uttered claim by Linus Torvalds that he worked on Linux' world domination seems to have become, mostly unnoticed, true for all those ubiquitous embedded systems such as appliances (e.g. SOHO routers, NAS, telephony boxes, digital VCRs, print servers, video and music streaming boxes etc.),
gadgets (e.g. mp3/ogg players, smart phones (e.g. Android), tablets, navigating GPS devices etc.)
that have become the indispensable underpinning of the communication of today's youth.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:56:19 am »

Hi deadwood

Excellent! thanks for the link, just what I need!

Recently I decided to buy a netbook to replace my 6 year old laptop, all of the netbooks have Windows 7 yet only 1MB of ram installed, not enough! looking at the OS its a Windows 7 'starter'...what's that? Hmmm.

I bought a netbook with Win XP which I know will run with 1MB.

I've just seen a 'home tablet' which looks interesting...the OS is...Linux.

More investigation needed.

JB.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 24 queries.