Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EDF energy  (Read 1908 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
EDF energy
« on: July 14, 2022, 08:19:02 pm »

after 8 months was told by edf  energy we cannot fit a smart meter  not told why  french messing us up again   gordon

RST

Re: edf
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 09:36:42 pm »

Well Scottish power can't fit a smart-meter to my Mothers house and Scottish Hydo can't fit one to mine -good, neither of us want or need such an intrusive device.  When I had my apartment in Guyancourt near Versailles in France, smart-meters were fitted en-bulk by crook installers, you got one whether you agreed to or not and I think those who did not want one that I knew got one without consent, just because an installer had access to more than one meter at a time.
If you know that to switch a light-off etc. saves energy, don't have kids etc. a smart-meter is largely pointless.  It's all weighted to the supplier.  And don't let anyone tell you you don't pay for the fitment and upkeep of it ever since it's fitted!!!

...sorry that seemed harsh looking back, why do you need one having tried that hard for so long?  What benefit is it supposedly offering you?

Rich

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
Re: edf
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 03:57:06 am »

what does it offer you? - nothing.   what does it offer the electric company?  several new ways to charge you more money.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: EDF energy
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 09:57:26 am »

Don't be conned by the adverts OR supply companies stating you HAVE TO HAVE ONE FITTED, no you don't  <*< . It may be a bit more inconvenient reading you own meter but if you can count and recognise numbers from 1 to 0 there's no chance of a 'rogue' pulse shuffling them.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 11:05:50 am »

The main beneficiarys of course are the energy companies .   The more smart meters they install the more meter reader staff they can offload . Simples   <*<
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 11:18:20 am »

Whether the supply companies want them or not they have been instructed to try & get us to have them by the government/ ofgem.

I do wonder what will happen to those of us who don't have a smart meter if they introduce time differential pricing.

PS I have not got one & I keep refusing one.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 11:38:33 am »

I have EDF, nothing but problems with them since being transferred from Green Network Energy.  I took nearly 3 hours to sort out billing, this time I refused to give in.  I was bombed out by the system 5 times had to go back to the b*****y robot each time and conversed with 3 different agents.

Eventually they reduced my direct debit from £285 pm to £150 pm as I have a fixed price contract with them.  I will have the old energy prices for another year then it is whatever the rates are then in 2023.

I have a gas smart meter that was installed by GNE but not fully commissioned with them, it is a new one and the electricity meter works with EDF so that transfer worked.  They have promised to come and finish the set up for 18 months now, many phone calls, nothing happens.
Yet if you look at Trip advisor they have a high star rating!  I was asked about my contact with them and did not even want to give 1 star.
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 12:28:06 pm »

I do wonder what will happen to those of us who don't have a smart meter if they introduce time differential pricing.

Maybe, like with water meters, there will be increasing pressure to switch to them. More likely, you will be put on an unfavourable and expensive tariff unless you switch.

My fuel is with Octopus and they have been quite good so far but a few weeks ago their smart meter lost its connection despite working well previously. I reported it but it can apparently take weeks to re establish a connection. Anyone know why this is?

The only 'benefit' of smart meters (if they work) is automatic meter readings.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 02:09:10 pm »

We have been with Octopussy for a while now. Originally with series 1 smart meters (which could not communicate) but now smart 2 meters which it took them over a year to get the IHD working . Interesting thing with these meters is that the gas meter has an in built non replaceable battery for it to communicate with the electricity meter and thence to the energy company . these batteries have about a 10 year life, our neighbours battery died at 8 years so ping, No gas. PANIC.no heating and mid winter. Interesting to go on to the Octopus web site and read the palaver they have had getting the rather cranky meter systems to communicate satisfactorily. 

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 06:55:58 pm »

You think that energy company is bad, try sse!!!

Been waiting since February for a corrected bill
..customer service is a joke, been waiting for more than 3 weeks for a reply to my email to them.

Personally I want them to take me to court, the evidence I have is in black and white. That day should be very interesting.

Smart meters, if fitted, can charge different tariffs at different times of day...they will not save the planet.

RST

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 08:21:18 pm »

...I didn't recognise it when you said SSE but they're "Scottish Hydro" for me.  I've not had that many problems with them in 20 years ....but their customer service has I admit, fallen off a cliff face since about 2018, no excuses for co-vid!

...I'm just so glad "Bulb" were so ameturish and screwed up my transfer back in 2018 or summit so I realised they were what they were and avoided like the plague.  Look at them now -no surprise?

I am a bit worried with the "push" for smart meters though.  It would be nice to get any kind of a mobile signal in my house.  The energy suppliers are not offering any upgrades to comms. so I don't know how they expect a smart-meter to work.  Even basic GSM is out where my meter is fitted.

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 07:41:34 pm »

I think these energy companies are all the same. Had a letter today from EON, not quite sure how I ended up with EON, was originally with the London Electricity Board, and they even had a showroom in the High Street where you could pay your 'leccy bill. Anyway, the letter said in a large red font 'Your electric meter is no longer safe', but not to worry because they would replace it with a new one, phew!

I've had previous letters from them saying that a smart meter would save money, how exactly?

I will immediately do nothing!

Mike 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 02:10:00 am »

Here  in OZ, I am with AGL [Australian Gas Light] for both gas and electricity,  we also have a Company called the  Energy Watch Wizard.......every 12 months or so, this latter Crew contact me with the best deals .......

A few months ago, these wonderful Energy Watch Wizard people e-mailed me confirming that I could take the offer of a $100.00 credit to each account if I resigned and opened a new AGL account as a new Customer  :P

Reading the fine print, the spiel confirmed I would join at the same unit rate that I was currently paying  :kiss:

Of course this didn't sound logical, but I succumbed to the thought of being $200.00 in credit  %)

So to add mystery to this offer, AGL confirmed that a one person home should use 859 kW/h for the 85 day billing period, however I used just 302 kW/h .......obviously the AGL computer must consider me to be just 35% of a real person  %%

It is not a scam, both accounts have attracted the individual $100.00 credit, I am on the same unit rate and there is no Contract involved.....I am free to leave at any time but will wait the 12 months time when the Energy Watch Wizards call again O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 06:40:57 am »

We had to change electricity providers and the Victorian Govt. gave us $250 for the second time in less than 12 months.  %% %%

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 11:40:58 am »

Wonder if I have got a 13amp lead long enough to stretch to Oz.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 11:52:48 am »

Hi Baldrick if you have, I can send you an adapter for their sockets.
Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 12:05:17 pm »

sorry...appears that voltage drop would be a problem  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.