Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. your Majesty  (Read 7255 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: R.I.P. your Majesty
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2022, 11:41:56 am »

Watched it all quite extensively yesterday....  ( stuck at home .... we gots the covid! )   >:-o

The young pallbearer team did a fantastic job, considering the pressure they were under.... well done Lads!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2022, 05:07:15 pm »

I noticed that the pall bearers were walking out of step on the right and left hand side, presumably so as the coffin didn't sway from side to side as they carried it.

Well done who thought of that.
Regards
Kit

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2022, 05:21:30 pm »

That's the correct procedure - I've been a poll bearer a number of times now, and being ex-military, I've always ensured to coach each of the other bearers at family funerals. It's the safest way to carry a coffin. Where possible, the bearers reach under the coffin and grip the outer  shoulder of the adjacent bearer - this procedure helps to even out the load and keep it steady.

Ray.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2022, 08:16:32 am »

RIP your Majesty you were an inspiration to us all. Her devotion to duty from a very early age was amazing

John

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2022, 09:43:47 am »

Don't know whether it was an optical conclusion but it looked like the Navy were the only service to get the coffin square on the carriage. It didn't look square on any of the other transport systems OR the Dias's.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2022, 04:16:08 pm »

There's always one!
      As a retired veteran (my Regiment didn't carry out ceremonial duties) I am aware that our wonderful late Queen's coffin is normally made from solid oak, lead lined with solid brass fitting's, as such I believe but do not quote me on the exact (rivet counting) weight works out at approximately 80/85 LBS per coffin bearing person. Try holding that at arms length for the amount of time those young Guardsmen did! It matters not if the coffin was directly in line with the carriage or the stand it sat on at Westminster Abbey the whole state funeral was carried out superbly with great dignity by all those involved. I raise my beret to them all well done, there is no other country in the world who can do pomp like our magnificent armed forces! R.I.P. Elizabeth the Great.
            Rant over,
                Pete,

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2022, 05:56:06 am »

Don't know whether it was an optical conclusion but it looked like the Navy were the only service to get the coffin square on the carriage. It didn't look square on any of the other transport systems OR the Dias's.

Regards  Ian.

Most coffins that I have seen are not rectuangular, but slightly tapered at both ends. This may give the impression that the coffin is not sitting square on the carriage or the dias.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2022, 10:04:14 am »

Sorry, I wasn't criticising the coffin bearers. The fact that it's made from best English oak or the weight has nowt to do with alignment. Yes, the sides are tapered but the ENDS are parallel. Hades' dentures, don't understand some peoples sensitivities to a mere observation.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2022, 10:29:59 am »

Out of respect I don't think the original topic is a place for any conflicting views to be brought up

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2022, 10:32:15 am »

Pete, it may well be that it was an observation that needn’t have been made, under the circumstances. I doubt that many people would have noticed any misalignment, I certainly didn’t. Overall, it was a magnificent spectacle, and a fitting tribute to a remarkable lady, one who will be greatly missed by millions.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2022, 12:20:10 pm »

It was obvious from the coverage that long zoom and wide angle lenses were being used to cover proceedings and this introduced optical distortions into the cropped images. In one of them Big Ben was leaning at 30 degrees and in another the whole procession was ‘telescoped’ so everyone looked on top of each other. Quite normal in the circumstances. Plus of course the coffin was clipped onto the gun carriage to stop it falling off.
Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2022, 10:36:29 pm »

So clearing things from shelf A to b shelf to make it look tidier, well to me, anyway I came across this, I knew I had it somewhere and was passed to me by my Grandfather.

Assume King Charles III will be doing a similar review?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2022, 08:55:55 am »

So clearing things from shelf A to b shelf to make it look tidier, well to me, anyway I came across this, I knew I had it somewhere and was passed to me by my Grandfather.

Assume King Charles III will be doing a similar review?

Whilst I’d love to see a fleet review as I don’t think there has been one for a long time but it’ll look rather small compared to his mother’s coronation review. These from what I’ve seen of the Spithead Reviews of old were spectacular rows of every type of warship we had- if you look for the DVD of Spithead Reviews from 1900 to 1953 it took forever to sail by every ship.
I hope we get to see some ships lined up but with modern commitments and a smaller navy I’m very dubious if there will be. But fingers crossed I’m wrong :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.