Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subs and Radio  (Read 3242 times)

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
Subs and Radio
« on: September 29, 2023, 08:02:22 pm »

Hello
Im building a sub and have a question regarding of which radiosystem to use, I want to use mine 2,4 but what I understand it doesn't work when the sub is submerged, In mine case I dont have any intention to run it in a clear pool where the visibility is good and you can see it when it is down under but I still want to be able to run it in periscop deepth in a lake or so where the sub is submerged but the persicope is visible so mine question is...can I use a 2,4 system where the antenna is over the water maybe hidden in the periscope meanwhile the sub is under the water?

Cheers
Jack

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Subs and Radio
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 08:46:38 pm »

It should be possible to run the submarine as long as the end of the aerial is above the water surface. It would be best to have the aerial sticking out of the top of the periscope to get it as high as possible, as many 2.4 GHz receivers have a bare wire end to the aerial it shouldn't show up. Your one problem is that if you accidentally submerge past periscope depth you lose the signal and control. This is where the failsafe setting on a 2.4 GHz radio comes into play, set the controls so that if signal is lost the submarine will surface e.g. if using dive tanks set them to empty on loss of signal, set dive planes to up etc.
Jim

Dundee Model Boat club

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 07:23:52 am »

Thank you Jim
/Jack

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 09:22:11 am »

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 04:34:49 am »

Jas,

can you provide us with the make and model of your transmitter?

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 05:51:45 pm »

Bonjour Jack
I am not a submariner at all but would kindly suggest you to find a 27 or 41 MHz radio instead of tinker a 2,4 GHz antenna.99 % the submarines I filmed on this Playlist could dive down to 1,50 m without any problem :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk02dRxCBqg&list=PLCVcZL8L7sBLXiRdK1q3JP8kBqn-1LFiG&pp=gAQBiAQB 
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 12:34:06 pm »

Submariners using 2.4ghz are generally enabling it by extending the receiver antenna using coaxial shielded cable to run it up a scope or some such element. Some have managed to get a couple of inches of depth in fresh water using long range 2.4ghz systems, but results seem a bit variable, so generally you should consider 2.4ghz only works dependably if you run the antenna above the surface.

A few modellers are now using 866/900mhz LRS systems, which can give a few feet depth in fresh water, which for many is enough. These also give the advantages of frequency hopping, more channels, DSP with software encoding and smaller aerials than the older low frequency systems.

Some other modellers,  mainly on the AMS site linked by Fred have gone for a more DIY approach with LORA 433/459mhz boards and Arduino boards, which may suit.

Range seems decent but the latency looks high on the system presented, fine on a slow model, but may prove bit too sluggish for faster craft.

Regardless such a system will require an aptitude with software and electronics which is generally sufficient to scare off the majority who will favour a ready built solution.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 02:22:53 pm »

Submariners using 2.4ghz are generally enabling it by extending the receiver antenna using coaxial shielded cable to run it up a scope or some such element. Some have managed to get a couple of inches of depth in fresh water using long range 2.4ghz systems, but results seem a bit variable, so generally you should consider 2.4ghz only works dependably if you run the antenna above the surface.

A few modellers are now using 866/900mhz LRS systems, which can give a few feet depth in fresh water, which for many is enough. These also give the advantages of frequency hopping, more channels, DSP with software encoding and smaller aerials than the older low frequency systems.

Some other modellers,  mainly on the AMS site linked by Fred have gone for a more DIY approach with LORA 433/459mhz boards and Arduino boards, which may suit.

Range seems decent but the latency looks high on the system presented, fine on a slow model, but may prove bit too sluggish for faster craft.

Regardless such a system will require an aptitude with software and electronics which is generally sufficient to scare off the majority who will favour a ready built solution.
Anndy, you seen the letter from AMS
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 08:23:58 pm »

About 35mhz
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 09:24:08 pm »

Okay. I'll be very surprised indeed if they get permission to use that band.

Regardless of the decreased use, the chance that it may still be used by the odd diehard will probably be sufficient for the powers that be to retain 35mhz exclusivity for aircraft here in the UK.

Lots of people using it unofficially for years, some are completely ignorant of the legislation, or pretend to be anyway.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 12:53:36 pm »

the chance that it may still be used by the odd diehard

Yes and if you've ever seen the damage created by some cretin using 35mogs on a land or boat model to aircraft, not much of a problem. in the free for all generated by the the CB wallies, specifics were created to stop 'Events', pity some didn't have half a brain cell to realise a model aircraft working in all three dimensions can become an unguided missile.  <*<

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 02:25:28 pm »

Going back to your original question JaS. It looks to me as if you want to use 2.4 and that is perfectly OK for a lot of model submariners. You need to have the antenna on the end of (say) a periscope and you need to cruise no deeper than periscope depth. A lot of folks, particularly in the US seem to be doing this.

Lots of info including "How to guides" on the Subcommittee:

https://forum.subcommittee.com/

David Forrest

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 11:45:33 am »

I think the write-up from David Merriman on Nautilus Drydocks forum is a good guide for how to adapt the aerials in 2.4ghz.

https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/general-topics/2949-how-to-adapt-the-new-2-4ghz-gear-to-r-c-submarines

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2023, 10:40:09 am »

That is indeed a very good guide, I agree.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 24 queries.