Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ocean Scratch Build  (Read 13281 times)

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Ocean Scratch Build
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2023, 04:16:52 pm »

A small update. Before I get the deck fixed down I wanted to get the landing craft launch ports started because it would just be awkward trying to build it through it's relatively small area. So I've started the first one. Not complete yet but it gives a rough idea of where I'm at. I don't think I'm going to have any landing craft get lowered into the water, but I'm making the davits strong enough and able to move should I change my mind.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2023, 11:07:58 pm »

That's a lovely section of detailing Dan! It all looks so in scale and realistic. How is the AK styrene? Is it like Plastruct or more like Evergreen?

I find the former matt and not precisely square while the Evergreen can have badly cut areas at the ends. Mind you, I find Plastruct rod better for perfect roundness and lack of air bubbles.
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2023, 07:09:37 am »

Thank you very much! It's been a while since I've used any any plastics. However I've got no complaints about the AK styrene. All arrived perfectly straight, no imperfections in the plastic it's self. Moulds to the shape you want well as long as the  as the curve or shape isn't too drastic and it stick very well with solvent glue. I'll probably use it throughout the build now as they also have a good selection of profiles.

Cheers, Dan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2023, 01:28:05 pm »

Thank you very much! It's been a while since I've used any any plastics. However I've got no complaints about the AK styrene. All arrived perfectly straight, no imperfections in the plastic it's self. Moulds to the shape you want well as long as the  as the curve or shape isn't too drastic and it stick very well with solvent glue. I'll probably use it throughout the build now as they also have a good selection of profiles.

Cheers, Dan

HI Dan very nice work on your boat bay an yrs i dont think its worth it makin the landin craft go up an down
chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2023, 10:10:18 pm »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words! A bit more detail to add yet but im happy to install them like that. I don't think I'll have the landing craft raise and lower as they're quite small and delicate looking at the drawings and will it be worth the effort? I'm not sure

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2024, 11:14:28 am »

HI Dan long time no hear from you young sir whats happening on her then ?
chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2024, 08:07:53 pm »

HI Dan long time no hear from you young sir whats happening on her then ?
chrisb

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately very little progress. All I've done in the past few months is add a bit of detail to the landing craft bays. Once these are all complete I can look at fixing the basic electrics in place before fixing my main deck down.

Cheers  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2024, 09:12:10 pm »

I still think that is an excellent rendition of the interior. I can imagine you dong some amazing work on the interior of a WW2 Aircraft carrier hangar!
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2024, 02:45:52 pm »

I still think that is an excellent rendition of the interior. I can imagine you dong some amazing work on the interior of a WW2 Aircraft carrier hangar!

Thank you very much! I don't think I'll go too much further with it now. Hopefully it'll look fairly realistic once it's painted up. 3 out of 4 are done, so it's not been a quick build at all but maybe in a few years when this is done I may try a ship from a different era. Not sure I have the room for another carrier though.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2024, 03:58:11 pm »

My two are boxed so that once completed (one day I am sure.....) they can sit atop each other.
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2024, 10:53:05 am »

Morning all,

Alot of work with little to show for it. All landing ports and other smaller openings have been completed with their first fix, paint, and installed into the hull. I kept the main deck off until this process was finished so I could easily mask off the painted decks. I thought painting them before installing them would leave neater painted edges where decks met the bulkheads. That, and connecting the wiring loom for the LEDs in each port.
 Each LED is fitted inside a moulded white metal bulkhead light. Drilled with a 1mm bit and the LED and wire fitted though. For any one interested, the LED was a white 0402.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2024, 11:51:14 am »

HI DAN looks very good as does your ship very well done an nice to see you back on here more please  :-))
chrisb

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2024, 07:15:04 pm »

Thanks Chris! I'm finding I'm spending alot of time on bits that can't really be seen. Once these are out the way, progress should actually be seen... Hopefully.

I've uploaded a second part to my build on YouTube. Only another timelaps video. Not very exciting but here's the link if anyone's interested

https://youtu.be/o06KPVUHM4M?si=sXT5gMb-c6PbUHVe

Cheers,

Dan

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2024, 09:20:12 am »

Thanks Chris! I'm finding I'm spending alot of time on bits that can't really be seen. Once these are out the way, progress should actually be seen... Hopefully.

I've uploaded a second part to my build on YouTube. Only another timelaps video. Not very exciting but here's the link if anyone's interested

https://youtu.be/o06KPVUHM4M?si=sXT5gMb-c6PbUHVe

Cheers,

Dan

HI Dan well i enjoyed your ocean build on utube more please as i watched it twice an you are doin A FAR BETTER JOB than i did on my tiger very well done young sir an oh i wish i could build as qiuck as you have done lol as yes i know its speeded up but this when finished should look brillant on the water but yu may have to make your rudders bigger like i had too on my tiger very well done Dan im impressed
chrisb

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2024, 01:02:59 pm »

Thanks for sharing your progress via video Dan, I also enjoyed it.
Ocean is coming on an absolute treat, keep up the good work.
Nige

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2024, 01:41:12 pm »

Thank you both very much! Now that the decks on I'll focus on any platforms that come out from the hull. Once they're complete I won't be far off Painting the hull.

Cheers,

Dan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.