Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Igniting Steamboat Burner  (Read 1015 times)

AlistairMc

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Advice on Igniting Steamboat Burner
« on: June 17, 2024, 05:07:56 pm »

Hi -I'm just trying to get some advice about igniting the burner on my steamboat. I'm told that I open (not fully) the gas tank valve and ignite the small tube that runs to the top of the funnel. Someone suggested that a mixture that was too rich would be a problem. How do you alter the richness of the gas mixture ?

captain_reg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice on Igniting Steamboat Burner
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 05:21:10 pm »

For mine, I hold a long lighter at the top of the funnel whilst turning on the gas tap with my other hand. Very shortly after you get a pop and a roar as the burner ignites.
As for the 'richness' if you follow the pipe coming out of the gas tank, just after it goes into the burner, there is a little screw. This clamps the gas jet in the correct place in the burner. The manual that came with mine (Cheddar) said that there should be a 5mm gap as a starting point. This will help to ensure that the correct amount of air is drawn into the burner along with the gas. You can then tweak it in our out slightly to get the 'correct' burn. Too much gas and I understand you get poor combustion and CO production. Too much air and you can overheat the burner (I think).

AlistairMc

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 07:34:58 pm »

Oh thanks for such a very useful reply. Fantastic.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 04:15:48 pm »

I strongly suspect that you have a ceramic burner, as opposed to a blow lamp burner. If the former, as has been advised, just turn the gas on a little and light at the top of the funnel, it will pop and roar and if you turn it down a fraction it will flash back into the furnace area. You can then turn it up a little if you want to. It works every time and is very easy to do.

If you have a blow lamp burner you will need to light it at the bottom. I very much doubt this as there is not room in your model.

Cheers

Geoff

AlistairMc

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 04:57:06 pm »

Thanks very much for your advice. - much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 24 queries.