Hi Martin, We have been away visiting the
family's for 3 months... In Phuket ...Thailand. So that held up the build
for some time... But on our return I got stuck in ... First I sorted out
how to make smoke for the cannons, Using Pyrodex (It's Legal ) for gun
powder & adding some Plummer's pipe leek detector tablet, ground into
powder gave the smoke effect ...
The guns are fired by 12 volts being put through a fine cables which are
weakened in the middle of the charge, The charges are all hand rolled...
Using Cigarette Paper !!! They do smoke !!!
I had to complete the standing rigging before the sails were fitted and
checked for correct movement, and be able to fold or remove... But this
made the wiring difficult and time taking to work out and install.
She was finally ready to launch last at the end of August... Total
Construction Time 3 Years 3 months !
So with help from The Killingworth Model Boat club ( Mr. Sid Bell,) ... We
rolled the launching trolley out of the
converted camping trailer down to the launching ramp on Killingworth
We unfolded the two masts ...hooked up the 4 twin shrouds... raised the
Jib sails & freed the driver sail... then switched on TX. & RX. ( Total
Time from arrival - to Rig - and Launch 12 minutes ) Gave a quick test
then slipped her into the lake... We could not believe it ... she floated
dead on the water line... with the stern just slightly down... A.O.K. I
was sure I would have to ballast her trim? The launching trolley was also
trying to float under the hull, from the air in the tyres... Will have to
stop that ! Trying the twin screw's forward & backwards looked in Scale...
Steering worked O.K. on full power - but low speed had hardly any
control... ( I have now since doubled the length of the false rudder )
Ready for the next sail ...
There was a slight breeze picking up so we dropped the fore sail... And
let her go... Wow, she leaned slightly then moved off into the lake ... "
She's Beautiful " came comments from behind !
The next trip will have full sail tests... with larger rudder & the
steering gear improved ... The toothed belt was jumping over the teeth !!!
sailing had a larger rudder fitted... And it did make difference when
sailing slow ... But being very nervy and not used the room she needs when
making a turn I kept her in the middle of the lake !
The first half dozen turns she
stalled half way , so a push with the twin screws gets her round ...
To overcome those stalls I realized ... keep the full speed , turn the
yards and at the same time send over the rudder!!! The rudder & yards
are geared very high... and the ships wheel turns scale speed... and takes
time ... so every move has to be thought out in advance !!! When
coming back she rammed the dock ... my slow rudder turn !!! This
smashed the jib tip & took out No. 1 sail...
Repairing a shortened jib & leaving No.1 sail off, Makes the jib
less venerable when sailing & loading into the transporting trailer much
easier !!! Fitting another even larger rudder she sailed for the 3rd
time... last Sunday with the Killingworth Model Boat Club... She now
makes full turns without engines... I find her a real pleasure to
sail... just watching her move, I forget to control her !!! We had a
steady breeze so I dropped all but one of the sails... as the breeze took
her she leaned slightly and shot off... on a gust of wind the cannon
ports slide along the surface, but did not take any water on deck... "I
had not sealed the two large hatches" She has a ships cutter mounted on
the stern davits but it fills up with the wash of the stern... better keep
it off for sailing !!!
I have found a way to make smoke for the cannons, And made up a dozen
charges... Next sailing, I hope
to see the result of a few shots ! to be recorded on video &